The glyph for Saturn is made of the cross of matter on top of a downward-pointing crescent of receptivity. Together these indicate the importance of heritage and past experience as pathways to maturity, structure and stability. The glyph also resembles the shape of Chronus’ sickle. Chronus is the Lord of Time and destroyer of creation. In addition, the glyph depicts carrying a cross or bearing the cross of mortality.
Until the invention of the telescope and the discovery of Uranus, Saturn the ‘Lord with the Rings’, was the most distant visible planet. Saturn is memorable-looking and clearly identifiable because of its unique rings. The themes of boundaries and restrictions relate to Saturn, which the rings emphasise. The aspect of the rings changes as they rotate, so that once every 14 years the rings are edge-on and almost invisible. Saturn is very low in density and has 17 satellites, with the largest being Titan.
Diameter: 120,000 km
Mean distance from Sun: 1430 million km
Rotation: 11 hours
Orbital period around sun: 29.46 years
Atmosphere: Hydrogen, helium
- The energy of Saturn is slow, enduring, commanding, restricting, binding, contracting.
- Saturn is Cold and Dry, inward moving and melancholic.
- Saturn is known as the Lord of Time, the great chronocrator, the hard taskmaster, the great malefic, and the guard of boundaries, limits or structure.
- Saturn represents necessity, the material world, the old world, connecting with the past, aging, autonomy, aloneness, death.
- Saturn is about things that take time, self discipline, self sufficiency, being our own boss and following our own rules.
- Saturn is conditional with love, being concerned with social consciousness, rules and traditions.
Saturn takes 29.50 years to move around an astrological chart. The important times of the cycle are when Saturn returns at 29.5 years, at age 59, and at 88 years. Saturn oppositions, when Saturn is opposite its birth place, are also significant. The first is at approximately 15 years, the second at approximately 45 years and the third at approximately 75 years.
Disciplined, structured, patient, controlled, duty-bound, organized, conservative, focused, wise, orthodox, traditional, responsible, ambitious.
Shadow Depressed, anxious, restrictive, cold, limited, oppressive.
Saturday, lead, death, age, black, miners, forms and structures, buildings, authority figures.
In the body
Bones, being the structure of who we are. Skin, being the boundary of our physical bodies. Teeth, the spleen, and hardenings in the body, such as stone formations, or hardenings of the digestive or arterial systems.