The glyph for Pluto is made up of the circle of spirit, half-in and half-out of an upward facing crescent of receptivity on top of the cross of matter. Combined, these elements represent the containment of the individual who is receptive to life’s mysteries and able to ground them into reality.
Pluto was discovered in 1930 and demoted to Dwarf planet status Aug 24th 2006. It has an eccentric elliptical orbit at an inclination of 17.2 degrees that can at times bring it within the orbit of Neptune. Pluto has weak gravity and is unable to hold its atmosphere, which keeps escaping into space. Its atmosphere is gaseous when at perihelion but becomes totally frozen at aphelion for hundreds of years at a time. Pluto takes days of sky tracking to find, being hard to see even with a strong telescope.
Diameter: 2390 km
Mean distance from Sun: 5,910,000 km
Rotation: 6 days, backwards
Orbital period around sun: 248 years
Atmosphere: Methane, nitrogen
Moons – Nix and Hydra, S/2011 P 1,
Charon – Large satellite orbiting Pluto, just over half its size.
- Pluto energy is experienced as unavoidable and inescapable, yet often invisible and slow moving.
- One never knows when Pluto is coming. Pluto is represented by the God of the Underworld, Hades, who wears a helmet of invisibility.
- Pluto is experienced as a primordial natural life force that impels evolution through breakdown, decay and then the purifying fire of regeneration.
- Pluto represents hidden wealth and power, both on a material level (e.g. gold within the earth) and an emotional level (personal power gained by confronting fears and letting go of the past).
- Pluto is about what lies beneath, that which is deep-down, repressed, underground, buried or denied, including secrets and shame.
- Pluto is associated with jealousy, betrayal, blackmail, drama, crisis and secrets.
- Pluto energy often releases in unleashed, non-restricted or transformative ways as a discharge of pent-up energy which can either deform or perfect.
- Through Pluto we experience cycles of birth-death-rebirth, shamanic transformation and profound growth on inner and outer levels.
- ‘Pluto the grisly God, who never spares, who feels no mercy and who hears no prayers’ – Homer, The Iliad
Pluto has an extremely elliptical orbit which means that different generations experience the astrological Pluto transits (e.g. Pluto square) at different ages. For example, depending on what sign Pluto was in when you were born, your Pluto square can occur anywhere between ages 35 and 55. Pluto is retrograde for 5 months every year.
See more– Pluto Cycle –
More on – Planetary Cycles
Passionate, powerful, regenerative, instinctual, cyclical.
Shadow Obsessive, subversive, cruel, controlling, compulsive, demanding.
Hidden secrets, atomic energy, sex, covert activities, the powerful, wealth, power, criminals, rebirth, death, regeneration, degeneration, slow growth, transfiguration, transformation, decay.
In the body
Reproduction and eliminative processes, ruptures, infections, discharges.
Plutonic/Plutonian – A Pluto Transit
To describe something as Plutonic or Plutonian is to mean an experience that has transformed a perception, outcome or experience. Plutonic relates to something that has been profound, deeply felt, powerful and primal. Plutonic describes an experience of the underworld: dark, mysterious and terrifying. Plutonic suggests having experienced a rebirth, a death and a regeneration or a most profound personal transformation. To say someone is Plutonic is to describe them as intense, provoking, scary yet compelling.
Plutonian relates to the god Pluto, the Roman word for the Greek god Hades, and Plutuos, the Greek word for wealth.
To be Plutonic/Plutonian is to behave like the god Pluto. The Greek myths relate that Pluto wears an invisible helmet, can abduct you, take you to the underworld, from which you will find it very hard to leave. This reflects further the Plutonic experience of not knowing when you may be abducted, how long it will take you to be able to get through the Plutonic experience, but in the end the experience leaves you far more empowered and personally wealthy than before.